intracellular pH?

Glenn Warr Glenn_A._Warr at ccmail.bms.com
Wed Nov 13 16:36:39 EST 1996

Jeff Cohlberg wrote:

> Can anyone direct me to literature on intracellular (cytoplasmic) pH,
> particularly in neurons?  It's "common knowledge" that "physiological pH"
> is around 7.4. A very extensive volume of literature on intracellular pH exists.  The
methods used vary from NMR to pH-sensitive microprobes and the more
popular fluorescent probes.  A not so recent mini-review is: Inger Helene
Madshus (1988). Regulation of intracellular pH in eukaryotic cells.
Biochem. J. 250:1-8.  You can also check with Molecular Probes in
Eugene, OR.  They sell a number of fluorescent probes used to measure pH,
and they also can steer you to some relevent literature using their
materials.  Their Technical Assistance Department can be
contacted by: Telephone (541) 465-8353; Fax: (541)344-4593; or E-mail:
tech at probes.com .  They have a Web site at:  www.probes.com  .