cell death in plates

Chris Hatton hatton at ifn-magdeburg.de
Tue Nov 12 17:57:31 EST 1996

I use 6 well plates, and grow hippocampus organotypic cultures on
membranes, I used to see cell death on my NUNC plates in wells next to
the incubator door (always from habit orientate plate same way).  I only
have 1.2ml in the well anymore causes the media to come through
membranes.  I only feed twice a week, and in some cases only put 0,7ml
underneath membrane.

I found putting sterile water between the wells very useful as cell
death is now virtually non-existant because of evaporation. Works for
membranes not sure about monolayers and suspension cultures.

Christopher Hatton
Institute for Neurobiology
Magdeburg, Germany
I've given my brain to Neuroscience, may as well give my body and soul

also, cos there's bugger all life left in either.

 Please note that these views are my own and not those of my employer