35-S labeled protein half life

Donald J. Fauss fauss at ITSA.UCSF.EDU
Sat Nov 16 11:34:04 EST 1996

Just to settle an argument, does anybody have an idea of what
happens to 35-S methionine labeled proteins after the 35-S decays?
I think the sulfur turns into chlorine and it's my guess that the
proteins would be so drastically changed by this that they wouldn't
be any good for things like immunodetection and such. My boss tries
to get me to keep these labeled proteins forever but it seems to me
that after they decay they aren't worth keeping. Anybody know more
about this? If it matters, the proteins originally have a very high
35-S specific activity or as they say, "pretty hot".

Don Fauss (fauss at itsa.ucsf.edu, http://members.aol.com/dfauss1)