35-S labeled protein half life

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sat Nov 23 10:46:24 EST 1996

Gopal Dasika (dgk at zeus.ahabs.wisc.edu) wrote:
> I am a little puzzled about sulphur turning into chlorine.

Upon decay, 35S emits an electron, consequently a neutron in the nucleus
turns into a proton. I.e. you have now 17 protons in the nucleus instead
of 16. That makes chlorine if I recall correctly.

Creation of SO2 and H2S are chemical reactions. Radioactive decay is a
physical reaction.

Just to add my $0.02 to the original question: I think the high-energetic
beta particles from the 35S decay may also be absorbed by other atoms,
thereby leading to radiolysis.

--Cornelius.