35-S labeled protein half life

Gopal Dasika dgk at zeus.ahabs.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 22 06:26:47 EST 1996

I am a little puzzled about sulphur turning into chlorine.
Could someone please clarify?

I was under the impression that exposure of [35-S] methionine to air
generates radioactive sulphur dioxide and hydrogen sulphide.
Additionally, upon long term storage radiolysis of 35S-amino acids leads
to release of 35-S labelled volatile impurities.  Also the formation of
L-methionine sulfone may be a problem.

Thanks.

Gopal Dasika.

--