Ion-free water for human consumption?

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sun Oct 6 05:33:34 EST 1996

[Followups narrowed.]

:-Peter (obrien at pharm.med.upenn.edu) wrote:
> Are gustatory receptors ion channels?

Salty and sour taste are allegedly transmitted by ion channels.

> What part of taste is determined by
> the ionic strength of a solution?   I know that olfactory receptors are
> often GPCRs, but are any receptors for taste in the GPCR family?

AFAIK, no gustatory receptors have been successfully cloned so far. It
appears that sweet and bitter tastes are transduced by G-proteins:

@article{kolesnikov:95,
        author  = {Stanislav S. Kolesnikov and Robert F. Margolskee},
        title   = {A cyclic-nucleotide-suppressible conductance activated
                by transducin in taste cells.},
        journal = {Nature},
        volume  = 376,
        pages   = {85--88},
        year    = 1995
}

@article{ruizavila:95,
        author  = {Luis Ruiz-Avila and Susan K. McLaughlin and David Wildman
                and Peter J. McKinnon and Alain Robichon and Nancy Spickofsky
                and Robert F. Margolskee},
        title   = {Coupling of bitter receptor to phosphodiesterase through
                transducin in taste receptor cells.},
        journal = {Nature},
        volume  = 376,
        pages   = {80--85},
        year    = 1995
}

@article{wong:96,
        author  = {Gwendolyn T. Wong and Kimberley S. Gannon and Robert
                F. Margolskee},
        title   = {Transduction of bitter and sweet taste by gustducin.},
        journal = {Nature},
        volume  = 381,
        pages   = {796--800},
        year    = 1996
}

however, it is not clear how gustducin is activated:

@article{naim:94,
        author  = {Michael Naim and Roland Seifert and Bernd N"urnberg and
                Lore Gr"unbaum and G"unter Schultz},
        title   = {Some taste substances are direct activators of
                {G}-proteins.},
        journal = BJ,
        volume  = 297,
        pages   = {451--454},