Some terms on plasmid replication control?

Derek Bartlem dbartlem at carmen.murdoch.edu.au
Sat Oct 12 10:32:02 EST 1996

pharmnmr <pharmnmr at pharmnmr.snu.ac.kr> wrote:

>I'm trying to study plasmid replication control.
>While I was reading a paper, I met some biological terms unfamiliar to
>me.

>plus origin of replication
>minus origin of replication
>countertranscript RNA(ctRNA) - Is it different from antisense RNA?

>Could you tell me meaning of above terms or
>references on plasmid replication mechanism & control?
>Additionally I'll appreciate to you
>if you tell me what news groups are involved with this subject.
>Thank you.

I think the plus and minus origin of replication refers to the
relative position on the plasmid with regards to the origin of
replication.  In other words, a gene to the left of the origin of
replication on the plasmid would be minus origin of replication, while
a gene to the right of the origin of replication would be plus origin
of replication.  These terms are used for relative distances away from
the origin of replication and on the plasmid, eg a sequence +150
origin of replication is further from the origin of replication than a
sequence +40 origin of replication (both would be to the right of the
origin).

As I am just an undergraduate molecular biology student, I cannot be
too sure if this is correct, although I am fairly confident. I am not
sure about countertranscript RNA, but would also be keen to find out.

Thanks
Derek