Ion-free water for human consumption?

Colin Bigam cbigam at cts.com
Thu Oct 10 16:28:03 EST 1996

Thusly spake klenchin at facstaff.wisc.edu (Dima Klenchin):

>In article <53m3hv$alu at data.csw.net>,
>   cbenson at CSWNET.COM (H.C. Benson) wrote:

>->My interest is in deuterium oxide which contaminates all terrestrial
>->water supplies at a ratio ranging from 1:5000 to 1:7000.  It is a puzzle
>->to me why so little research has been done on the deleterious effects of
>->exposure to these concentrations over the human lifespan.
>->H. C. Benson			cbenson at cswnet.com

>So, what's wrong with heavy water and why would it be deleterious?

Well replacing H2O with D2O in the body is fatal at a certain
concentration, but I seem to recall it being somewhere around either 1% or
10% of the total water in your body.

That's acute effects. I don't think I've ever heard of long term effects of
D2O. Given that it's always been there, it seems like we would have evolved
with our bodies being used to it.

Colin

|         "Her eyes had small friendly lightning        |
|          walking across them."  (R. Brautigan)        |
|  Colin Bigam:  *****NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!*****    |
|  cbigam at cts.com                 Public Key available  |