Ion-free water for human consumption?

Doug Pecota pecota at design.eng.uci.edu
Sun Oct 13 01:46:24 EST 1996

Dear  Benson:

It is unlikely that even if you show that deuterium oxide causes lots
of problems that much will be done about it.  It most likely only scare
people.

As far as  drinking DI water I think the reason it is not recommended is
the possibility of microbial contamination.  For instance if for some
reason the Deionization tanks were not flushed enough to remove the
chemicals for regeneration and the conductivity meter malfunctioned or was
not checked the water could be harmful.  Also many of the systems use
holding tanks which can become contaminated (leaky roof?).  I therefore
think that it is an safety assurance question not at DI water is dangerous.
Normal tap water and bottled water may contain chlorine to prevent this as well
as having regular safety checks.  Basically your employer does not
want you drinking it since they could be sued if health problem
occur.

Hope this helps.

Doug P.
University of California Irvine.