Ion-free water for human consumption?

Colin Bigam cbigam at cts.com
Sat Oct 12 01:37:58 EST 1996

Thusly spake Jerome Freed <jjfreed at netreach.net>:

>Hold on! Before those of you working in science labs drink your DI or RO
>or distilled water without *boiling it*, better test it for sterility.
>It probably has more organisms than you might expect. Try some in a
>standard thioglycollate sterility test tube, See what you get.

>I prefer nice sterile chlorinated city water.

>Jerry Freed
>Retired Scientific Person
>Old, not Bold

For coffee in the lab, we use either tap water (which in San Diego is
BLEAH!!!!) or water from the water cooler. I wouldn't bring anything from
the DI tap NEAR my face!

However, we do have Millipure water, which is Millipore's four stage,
ultrapurification system. I think it could be counted on to be as sterile
as anything else, since they use it to grow tissue culture's.

Colin

|         "Her eyes had small friendly lightning        |
|          walking across them."  (R. Brautigan)        |
|  Colin Bigam:  *****NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!*****    |
|  cbigam at cts.com                 Public Key available  |