Ion-free water for human consumption?

Colin Bigam cbigam at cts.com
Sun Oct 13 00:42:18 EST 1996

Thusly spake Richard Drummond <gip204 at freenet.mb.ca>:

(millipore water system stuff)

>> Colin
>>
>	The only thing that can be considered to be sterile is water that
>	has been tested for sterility. All Millipore systems are
>        designed to remove contaminants but this does not result in
>	sterile water. I would expect your tissue culture media is sterile
>	because it is either autoclaved or filtered  afterwards.
>		If your Millipore system is not well looked after you
>	might be surprised by how high the bacterial  count  can get
>	especially if the water is kept in a storage tank.

>	Richard  :)

Hmmm. All quite true; I know that they autoclave their prepared media
before using it, which is pretty standard. On the other hand, the water for
it comes straight from the millipore system, and it is (as far as I have
seen) taken proper care of.

Makes me wonder, though; Those things measure purity via conductance. What
is the conductance of a bacterium?

Colin

|         "Her eyes had small friendly lightning        |
|          walking across them."  (R. Brautigan)        |
|  Colin Bigam:  *****NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!*****    |
|  cbigam at cts.com                 Public Key available  |