Ion-free water for human consumption?

John Sotos sotos at healtheon.com
Wed Oct 16 17:22:03 EST 1996

Depree, Jonathan A wrote:

> In article <325fb141.306398054 at news.onramp.net> fjm at onramp.net (Fred McCall) writes:
> >From: fjm at onramp.net (Fred McCall)
> >Subject: Re: Ion-free water for human consumption?
> >Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 15:28:31 GMT

> >:It is a puzzle
> >:to me why so little research has been done on the deleterious effects of
> >:exposure to these concentrations over the human lifespan.
>
> >There is no difference in chemical behaviour between the two, so why
> >would you expect any biological effects at all?

The gang at Oak Ridge National Lab raised a beagle from birth in a
?pure ?enriched D2O environment back in the 60's or 70's (i.e. they
tried to ensure that every hydrogen atom that went into the dog
was a deuterium atom).  As best I can recall, the dog was not a happy
camper -- shakey, jittery, hair falling out.  Sorry for the incomplete
memory, but maybe someone out there has a pointer.

And, of course, who can forget the episode of Batman in which the
Joker rehydrated his dehydrated henchmen in the Bat-Cave using
the D2O spigot -- one punch and blamo! the henchman vaporized.

--
John
sotos at healtheon.com