How to keep cells alive

Susanne M. Gollin sgollin at HELIX.HGEN.PITT.EDU
Fri Oct 18 11:38:40 EST 1996

> To:            cellbiol at net.bio.net
> From:          Leclipteux <thierry at stat.fmv.ulg.ac.be>
> Subject:       How to keep cells alive
> Date:          18 Oct 1996 12:51:09 GMT

for human lymphocyte culture, we use RPMI 1640 plus about 15% fetal
calf serum and pen-strep or gentamicin. If I would want to hold the
human blood, I would put it in culture medium like this.
You may wish to draw the blood in a yellow top vacutainer tube
with acid citrate dextrose, but I don't know how long it will last
in it, probably a few days. I would try the supplemented tissue
culture medium, although it is not a defined medium, so dosing them
with IL4 would probably be better in a defined medium. perhaps there
is a defined medium commercially available for generating monoclonal antibodies
that would support your cells.

best of luck

> I am working on bovine whole blood and I am trying to keep blood cells
> alive at room temperature for at least several days (3 to 5) in order to
> dose IL4 after in vitro stimulation.  Does anyone know a special medium
> in order to do solve this problem ?
>
> Many thanks.

Susanne M. Gollin, Ph.D., FACMG
Department of Human Genetics
University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health
130 De Soto Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
(412) 624-3018
(412) 624-3020 fax