How to keep cells alive

Leclipteux Thierry thierry at STAT.FMV.ULG.AC.BE
Sat Oct 19 04:14:47 EST 1996

A (At) 13:25 18/10/96, Susanne M. Gollin ecrivait (wrote):
>> To:            cellbiol at net.bio.net
>> From:          Leclipteux <thierry at stat.fmv.ulg.ac.be>
>> Subject:       How to keep cells alive
>> Date:          18 Oct 1996 12:51:09 GMT
>
>for human lymphocyte culture, we use RPMI 1640 plus about 15% fetal
>calf serum and pen-strep or gentamicin. If I would want to hold the
>human blood, I would put it in culture medium like this.
>You may wish to draw the blood in a yellow top vacutainer tube
>with acid citrate dextrose, but I don't know how long it will last
>in it, probably a few days. I would try the supplemented tissue
>culture medium, although it is not a defined medium, so dosing them
>with IL4 would probably be better in a defined medium. perhaps there
>is a defined medium commercially available for generating monoclonal
>antibodies
>that would support your cells.
>
>best of luck

>> Many thanks.
>>

>Susanne M. Gollin, Ph.D., FACMG
>Department of Human Genetics
>University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health
>130 De Soto Street
>Pittsburgh, PA 15261
>(412) 624-3018
>(412) 624-3020 fax

Hi Suzanne,

Many thanks for your prompt answer.
I am not sure that blood cells will survive many days in a simple acid
citrate dextrose tube or EDTA tube.  Experience I have would confirm that
cell death occurs quite rapidly and does not allow any further culture and
stimulation.
Vet field is a little different from Human field.  Samples could sometime
stay in car for days before to be processed in labs.  That's my problem.

Many thanks anyway

Dr LECLIPTEUX Thierry                           phone   : ++/32/41-664093
Department of Parasitology                      Fax     : ++/32/41-664097
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, B-43
University of Liege, Blvrd of Colonster
B-4000  Sart-Tilman,   LIEGE
BELGIUM