To improve homologous recombination efficiency

Hong Qin hongqin at midway.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 25 11:12:29 EST 1996

Hi, there,

For those who use homologous recombination, especially those working
on knock-out, I would like to know what is your opinion about the
methods we can use to improve the efficiency so far.

First, the longer the arms, the higher the efficiency.

Second, the shorter the targetted knock-out region, the the higher the
efficiency.

Third, when use positive and negative selection, say neo and tk, the
closer they are, the higher the efficiency.

I am currently experiencing a very low homologous recombination
efficiency.  I am considering to use two tk cassettes in a new
construct. I heard some rumors that tk does not contribute too much in
some cases.  Any suggestions are very welcome.

Hong Qin
U of Chicago