LIVING CELLS-GLASS ELECTROSTATIC INTERACTION

Clive Evans c.evans at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Mon Sep 2 15:29:48 EST 1996

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Leopoldo Silvestroni wrote:

> Does anyone knows how to avoid electrostatic interaction between living
> cells and glass (microscope slides) ?
> I need to video record freely moving cells
>
> slide treatment with Sigmacote : unsuccessful
> slide treatment with diluted Permount (Fisher Chem.Co): unsuccessful
>
> Thank You all
>
> Leopoldo Silvestroni
> Dep Fisiopatologia Medica
> Univ Rome 'La Sapienza'
> L.SILVESTRONI at CASPUR.IT

Hi, Leopoldo!

The secret is to give them something they like to crawl about on. This
depends on the cell type, but for many fibronectin or vitronectin suffice.
The cheapest way to provide this type of surface is to incorporate a small
percentage (2-10%) of bovine serum in your culture medium. I suspect you
are using a simple salt solution to incubate your cells. This is a bad
move. Always include a small amount of protein such as serum or BSA. The
BSA (also the major component of serum) will coat glass and other surfaces
and stop the esentially irreversible reactions that hinder your work.
Unfortunately, BSA is not adhesive to cells and hence the need for
fibronectin/vitronectin/serum.

Cheers,

Clive