[Q] Apoptosis inducing chemcals....

Richard A. Lockshin yo_doc at usa.pipeline.com
Tue Sep 10 08:48:31 EST 1996

On Sep 10, 1996 17:55:22 in article <[Q] Apoptosis inducing chemcals....>,
?????? <kernee at bioneer.kaist.ac.kr>' wrote:

>Dear Netters...
>
>I've read that there are numerous chemical reagents which induce
>apoptosis during
>
>rapid proliferation period of the cells. But it seems that some chemical
>don't
>
>actually drive apoptosis in the early period (lag phase) of the growth.
>
>Can anybody tell be how could this really happen ?
>
>And also I'd like to know those agent(chemical or genetic) which inhibit
>the
>
>induction of apoptosis beside bcl-2....
>

>Thanks a lot !!!!

IF I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN, THE ISSUE MAY NOT BE THAT CERTAIN COMPOUNDS
ARE ABSOLUTE APOPTOSIS INHIBITORS, BUT THAT THERE CAN BE A BALANCE BETWEEN
APOPTOSIS-FAVORING STIMULI (TNF OR OTHER FACTORS IN OTHER CELLS) AND
APOPTOSIS-DISCOURAGING STIMULI, WHICH INCLUDE MOST OF THE GROWTH FACTORS.
IN MANY SITUATIONS, INCREASING GROWTH STIMULI CAN OFFSET OTHER INFLUENCES
FAVORING APOPTOSIS.

RICHARD LOCKSHIN (ALSO LOCKSHIN at SJUMUSIC.STJOHNS.EDU.  THE PIPELINE ADDRESS
WILL CHANGE SOON.)