Mammalian cell replica plating

David Winterbourne sghk100 at sghms.ac.uk
Tue Sep 17 03:22:19 EST 1996

In article <3239E363.3CA8 at berlex.com>, Mukund Nori says...

>Has anyone replica plated mammalian cells?  I would greatly appreciate a
>protocol and source of reagents.

It is possible to prepare replicas on polyester filters, although this
probably only works for fibroblast-like cells. I have used this with CHO and
it works well:

Raetz, C.R.H., Wermuth, M.M., McIntyre, T.M., Esko, J.D., and Wing, D.C.
Somatic cell cloning in polyester stacks. Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.USA 79:3223-3227,
1982.

Alternatively, you can seed cells at low density in microtest plates. As the
number of cells per well follow a Poisson distribution, some wells will have
no cells whereas others will have more than one. See the following reference
for an example:

Winterbourne, D.J., Thomas, S., and Hermon-Taylor, J. Suppression of
anchorage-independent growth after gene transfection. Br.J.Cancer 68:251-258,
1993.

--
Dr. David Winterbourne
Department of Surgery