separation of dead/alive T cell hybridoma cells

Stephen C. Dahl stebby at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Wed Sep 25 14:33:12 EST 1996

Bert Overduin (bboverduin at ucdavis.edu) wrote:

: I am looking for a method to separate alive and dead mouse suspension T
: cell hybridoma (3DO) cells other than fluorescence activated cell sorting.
: I am not very familiar with animal cell biological techniques, but guess
: there must be a way to accomplish this. Answers and or hints can dbe
: directly sent to me or posted on the newsgroup.

: Bert Overduin
: CEPRAP / UC Davis
: bboverduin at ucdavis.edu

Bert--

I am really not a pro at this at all, but I think you'll find that the
most used method is centrifugation through Percoll (Pharmacia), Nycomed
(I forget who makes this) or one of many materials that is used to
separate things based on their density.  Personally, I have found these
procedures to enrich for live cells rather than separate live from dead,
but things may work better in your hands.  Call Pharmacia and ask for
their reference booklet...Percoll, Methodology and Applications.  I think
its out as a second edition now and used to be free.

Steve