Protein glycosylation question

J. S. Good jsg at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 26 05:27:21 EST 1996

Dear Reader

I wish to express a bacterial gene in mammalian cells. The protein is
palmitoylated in bacteria by a separate gene product, which I will clone
on the same plasmid as the first gene. What I need to know is, where in
the eukaryotic cell does palmitoylation take place? If it is confined to
the endoplasmic reticulum I will have to try and target delivery of the
proteins to this compartment, but if palmitoylation also takes place in
the cytosol my task will be a lot easier. Any other useful information
will be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance for your advice
James Good

email jsg at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk