EM virus diagnostics

Vladimir V. Zarubaev vova at influenza.spb.su
Tue Apr 8 04:26:11 EST 1997

                   Influenza Research Institute

          Laboratory of Viral Infections Pathomorphology

     Laboratory of Viral Infections Pathomorphology has more than
thirty years of experience in following areas:

     1. Development  of  animal  models  of   human    pathologic
processes and their detailed investigation by methods of
histology, electron microscopy, immunology (including
immunochemistry), virology and molecular biology. We have
developed and successfully use for a long period mice models of
chronic influenza pneumonia, herpesviral pneumonia, chronic
pneumonia of non-viral etiology and some other pathologies.

     2. Use of developed animal models and  cell  culture  models
for efficacy testing  of  chemical  compounds  -  candidates  for
antiviral agents as well as investigations of optimal doses, ways
of application and combinations of already existing therapies.

     3. Testing of  compounds  perspective  for  pharmacology  to
acute and chronic toxicity on cell cultures and animals with full
histological study and estimation of toxic concentrations.

     4. Investigation of biological  preparates  composition  and
their testing for viral and bacterial contamination  by  electron
microscopy. We showed that such study,  for  instance,  of  serum
used in cell cultivation appears to be much more fast and cheep
than using of serological tests. The same can be said about viral
concentrates used for creation of diagnostic test systems.

     5. Diagnostics of viral infections by direct virus
isolation, electron microscopy and molecular dot-hybridization.
We have six years of experience in diagnostics of diseases caused
by such viruses as influenza viruses A and B, respiratory-
syncitial virus, rotaviruses, coronaviruses, adenoviruses,
picornaviruses, herpesviruses types 1, 2 and 6, Epstein-Barr
virus and human cytomegalovirus. Biological liquids and biopsies
are used in these studies as well as materials of autopsies and
archive paraffine histological blocks.

     6. Chemical polymers (latex and liposomes preparates)
control to estimate particles size ans homogenity of suspension
by electron microscopy analysis.

     We are ready to discuss with you any possibility of
collaboration which could be useful both for you and for us.

     We can be contacted with by phone (812) 234-0418
                        Valery P.Sukhinin
                       Vladimir V.Zarubaev
or by Email: vova at influenza.spb.su.