Depolymerizing microtubules in melanophores

Brian T. Greuel greuelb1 at uofs.edu
Tue Apr 22 11:32:59 EST 1997

I'm developing a new lab exercise for a cell biology course that illustrates
microtubule-dependent intracellular motility.  The system I am using is
pigment granule migration in the melanophores of the marine killifish,
Fundulus.  I have been trying to get the microtubules to depolymerize by cold
treatment so that the pigment granules will be released into the cytoplasm,
but thus far I have been unsuccessful.  Even treatment for several hours at 4
degrees Celsius fails to induce depolymerization.  Once the microtubules are
depolymerized, of course, I would monitor their reassembly in the presence or
absence of various inhibitors, using association with the pigment granules as
the indicator of reassembly.  My problem though is in disrupting these
microtubules.

Colchicine treatment alone should not depolymerize the microtubules in these
cells because they are supposed to be in a "fixed array."  I may just go ahead
and try it anyway just to confirm this.  Any other ideas about how I can
depolymerize the microtubules in the melanophores of Fundulus?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  If you could email me
directly I would be grateful since I do not often monitor this news group.

Brian T. Greuel
Dept. of Biology
University of Scranton
Scranton, PA   18510