gel documentation systems - comments anyone?

Michael Dorsett Onken mdonken at
Fri Apr 25 11:37:26 EST 1997

Sam Michaelson (sam.michaelson at wrote:
: G'day there,

: My lab is looking at buying a video gel documentation system.  The ones
: we are looking at are:  Pharmacia ImageMaster system,  and the BioRad
: GelDoc 1000 system.  I have also heard mention of a system called the
: 'Eagle Eye', but have been unable to find out who the supplier is.

: If anyone has had any experience with any of these systems (good or bad)
: or comments to make, I would like to hear from you.  If you post to this
: ng, please email me as well, we have gremlins in the server.....

: Thanks all,

: Sam Michaelson    sam.michaelson at

We just finished demo'ing several gel documentation systems, and found the
BioRad system and the Alpha Imatek system to be the best.  We will
probably get the BioRad because it runs on a Mac, although the Alpha
Imatek was an equivalent system.

Mike Onken        -. .-.   .-. .-.   .  To contact me try
Molecular Cell    ||X|||\ /|||X|||\ /|  E-mail:
Biology Program   |/ \|||X|||/ \|||X||   mdonken at
Washington Univ.  '   `-' `-'   `-' `-