MTT Viability Assay

jlf2 at concentric.net jlf2 at concentric.net
Fri Aug 1 10:02:42 EST 1997

Olivier Gandrillon wrote:

> Dear Srikumar
>
> I have ben using a close derivative: the XTT viability assay on non
> adherent cells (namely chiken erythroid progenitor cells grown in
> suuspension). I simply have grown my cells in 96 wells plate for 48
> hoours (+ various compounds to be tested) and then added the XTT +
> electron coupling reagent mix as indicated by Boehringer (no
> affiliation), let it stand 2 to 4 hours at 37°C and read the OD.
>
> Hope this helps. If you want more information, do not hesitate.
>
> Olivier
>
> Srikumar M. Raja wrote:
> >
> > I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used the MTT cell viability
> > assay for non-adherant cells. I am looking for a protocol. Thanks,
> > Kim Nelson
> > klnelson at uvic.ca

Consider the CellTiter 96 AQueous MTS Assay from Promega (Madison, WI,
1-800-356-9526, http://www.promega.com) where MTS is bioreduced to a
soluble product, formazan, by viable cells.  This is particularly useful
for nonadherent cells, as plates can be read directly without
intervening wash steps.

D.P. Cohen
cohen012 at mc.duke.edu