Little respect for doctors

Selliott florawa at networx.net.au
Thu Aug 7 04:37:55 EST 1997

Brian Stapleton <star1190 at teleport.com> wrote in article
<5sb8jp$6rp$1 at nadine.teleport.com>...
> In sci.med.laboratory Fritz Langley <efudd at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
> > Furthermore, "shopping" for doctors has real practical limitations.
> > Rural areas are natural monopolies; there isn't demand for more than a
> > very few practitioners.  In many cases it isn't possible at all to
> > change providers when you're satisfied.  Many procedures are
> > irreversible or otherwise unrepeatable; you can't try again if you're
> > dissatisfied with the results.
>
> Man! Ain't THAT the truth! The people who present for chonic care or
> advanced disease are usually the people who could not afford preventative
> medicine so are now in such an advanced state that they need procedures
> that cost umpteen times the price that simple initial health care would
> have avoided...
>
> Sorry... I'm not a "commie" or a "pinko liberal", but paying for a new
> engine because you didn't want to spend the money for a couple of quarts
of
> oil is simply bad budget management...
>
> go figure...
>
> 		  ******************************************
> 		      The only thing you must understand
> 		  is that it is not necessary to understand,
> 				but to enjoy
> 		  ******************************************

I'm only grateful that I am undergoing my medical training in a country
like Australia, because what I see of the American Medical system via ER
and Chicago Hope and magazines such as Time make me totally amazed that a
country as rich as the USA cannot look after its poor even slightly
adequately.  We have private medical insurance but if we were unable to
afford this, we could attend a government hospital with a waiting list of a
couple of months.  When you have a baby in a public hospital, you stay in
five days.  My friend who gave birth in LA had to be out in 24 hours!!  As
a private obstetric patient here as I have been on three occasions, one is
allowed to stay up to ten days.  Basically until you feel like going home.

I find it amazing that people still believe that the USA is a great place
to live.  Someone is obviously not telling them what it's like in other
countries.
We're even paid $550.00 per week for me to stay in med school and my
husband to stay at home with our four children.
My University fees are $1500.00 per year.  Still I guess you did win
Operation Desert Storm and that's one of the important things in life isn't
it!?

Regards and sympathy

Suzanne Elliott