Little respect for doctors

Melvin Billik Mbillik at cris.com
Thu Aug 7 12:12:50 EST 1997

leport.com>

Brian:
You are correct, except in your analogy. Most of us -- even the poor --
can probably afford a few quarts of oil.
Not true with medical care.
I feel very fortunate to have a good job and good insurance, but I have no
illusions -- our current health care situation is a national scandal.
Mel

Brian Stapleton (star1190 at teleport.com) wrote:
: In sci.med.laboratory Fritz Langley <efudd at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
:
: > Furthermore, "shopping" for doctors has real practical limitations.
: > Rural areas are natural monopolies; there isn't demand for more than a
: > very few practitioners.  In many cases it isn't possible at all to
: > change providers when you're satisfied.  Many procedures are
: > irreversible or otherwise unrepeatable; you can't try again if you're
: > dissatisfied with the results.
:
: Man! Ain't THAT the truth! The people who present for chonic care or
: advanced disease are usually the people who could not afford preventative
: medicine so are now in such an advanced state that they need procedures
: that cost umpteen times the price that simple initial health care would
: have avoided...
:
: Sorry... I'm not a "commie" or a "pinko liberal", but paying for a new
: engine because you didn't want to spend the money for a couple of quarts of
: oil is simply bad budget management...
:
: go figure...
:
: 		      The only thing you must understand
: 		  is that it is not necessary to understand,
: 				but to enjoy

--
Mel Billik in Michigan
Remember: if you can keep your head about you when all around you are in a