VEGF ELISA-how to treat 10% FBS media sample?

Ambal ambal at sprynet.com
Sun Aug 10 09:22:55 EST 1997

Dear Dr. Siping Yang,
	I have had some experience of doing ELISA for VEGF for the last 2-3
years. In my experience, fetal bovine serum (FBS), as well as any
other animal serum, contains large amounts of VEGF.  I have been
forced to use serum-free media for estimating VEGF in culture media.
It is also useful to estimate VEGF in all the materials added to the
serum free media, since I have discovered that transferrin and insulin
obtained from animal sources are contaminated with VEGF.