Fluorescence Microscopy

Jackie E. Kylander jek at med.unc.edu
Fri Aug 22 09:23:28 EST 1997

In article <872172995.1488 at dejanews.com>, VEIUSA at aol.com wrote:

> I understand that GFP has become popular of late.  However, I'd like to
> know how a researcher understands what filter sets and flourochromes are
> req'd to view a speciman optimally.  If I have a filter set at my
> disposal, how can I find out specifically what specimans either floureces
> naturally or what stains would facilitate improved fluorescence
> examination.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  Would I use a
> stereo microscope or compound microscope??  I look forward to any
> insights extended.  Thx in advance.  Sincerely, Mark R.

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Most antibody catalogues (I've seen it in Jackson Labs) have a chart or
some other kind of table that give the excitation and emission
wavelengths. Most microscope dealers will also help you make the choice of
filter sets. Almost any microscope with fluorescence capabilities will
have a set for fluoroscene--incoming light is blue (FITC, GFP) and
rhodamine--incoming light is green (TRITC). If you need more details, I
grab the catalogue with specific numbers.