DNA spec dye?

Richard Kerr kerrr at CRYPTIC.RCH.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Dec 2 21:39:47 EST 1997

At 06:58 2/12/97 GMT, you wrote:
>Anybody knows a DNA-specific dye which would emit red or green? Cause I
>don't have the DAPI filter but I have to counterstain the nuclei for
>anti-p53 or anti-BrdU
>Thanks

propidium iodide
also used as a rough guide for % apoptotic cells in a population.
emits an orange wavelength when excited with blue (fluorescein) light. Can
be shut out with a emission band-width filter.
I suggest a medline search would give you the leads that you need.
Also, check the 'Molecular Probes' catalogue for their YOYO dyes....emits
green under blue excitation I think.
Richard Kerr.
The Murdoch Institute,
R.C.H. Flemington Rd, Parkville, 3052,
AUSTRALIA.
kerrr at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au
Phone (61) 3 9345 5045.
FAX   (61) 3 9348 1391.
'The most interesting things about vertebrates occur in the neural crest.'
	Peter Thorogood.