Ivan J Delgado delgadoi at PILOT.MSU.EDU
Mon Feb 3 16:02:11 EST 1997

    A question regarding glycosylation of proteins and how that looks in a
western. I have two different antibodies raised against the same protein. When
I use these on a western, in one case I get a tight band while (antiboby 1) and
in the other I get a smear of smaller molecular weight bands (antibody 2). I
don't think it is due to degradation since the first antibody gives a clean
signal (protein sample was the same for both and the same wetsern). Could this
be glycosylation?. How could one test for it?

Ivan Delgado
DOE Plant Research Laboratory
Department of Genetics
Michigan State University