Is a virus alive

tylee tylee at ITIS.COM
Wed Feb 5 01:54:56 EST 1997

I read only some of the other responses and I agree that it is just a
semantic argument depending on the definitions used. Is a virus a living
organism? I'll skip the "living" argument and go straignt for the
"organism" part. An organism is an animal or plant having diverse organs
and parts that function together as a whole to maintain life and its
activities. Because I have never seen a liver, brain, kidney or any other
organs in a virus, I do not think it is a living organism.