Is a virus alive

Alexei Gratchev alexei at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 5 15:09:27 EST 1997

tylee wrote:

> I read only some of the other responses and I agree that it is just a
> semantic argument depending on the definitions used. Is a virus a >living organism?

My English not so good to discuss semantics, but the question was "Is a
virus alive" and not "Is virus an organism" (I skip the "living"
argument). But even in this case if we assume that virus is a simplest
organism we`ll see simplest organs that function to maintain life, this
proteins which virus use to determine what cell it can infect, to make a
hole in the membrane, to introduce its DNA (or RNA), and so on.
Alex.