glycosylation

David Winterbourne sghk100 at sghms.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 03:49:10 EST 1997

In article <199702032102.QAA19223 at pilot19.cl.msu.edu>, Ivan J Delgado says...

>I have two different antibodies raised against the same protein. When
>I use these on a western, in one case I get a tight band while (antiboby 1)
>and in the other I get a smear of smaller molecular weight bands (antibody 2).

I can think of two possibilities, apart from the possibility of partial
degradation/proteolytic processing:

1) The band detected by AB1 is fully glycosylated and the smear detected by AB2
is due to precursor unglycosylated or partially glycosylated molecules.

2) The smear detected by AB2 is due to molecules with increased charge e.g.
phosphorylation.

--
Dr. David Winterbourne
Department of Surgery