DNA

Moez Bali bali at citi2.fr
Thu Feb 6 14:07:53 EST 1997

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, El Guapo wrote:

> Date: Thu, 06 FEB 1997 05:44:40 -0500
> From: El Guapo <rssimack at sloc.net>
> Newgroups: bionet.cellbiol, bionet.molecules.peptides,
>     bionet.cellbiol.cytonet
> Subject: DNA
>
> Is the helical structure a result of Hydrogen bonding between the bases
> or is it a result of the orbital shapes around the central deoxyribose?
> rob

I would say that the helical structure is due to the pairing of two strands.
to minimize the overall energy of the structure, these two strands must
be in contact because of the hydrophobicity of the base, and to have all
the base in contact with each other the structure must be helicoidal.
It can not be straight because of the bonding between the phosphates.

Moez BALI     e-mail : bali at citi2.fr
Unite INSERM U.467 Biophysique des transports epitheliaux
Faculte de Medecine Necker-Enfants Malades
156, rue de Vaugirard 75730 Paris Cedex 15
Tel.  +33 01.43.06.15.25 ; 01.40.61.56.26
Fax   +33 01.40.61.55.91