largest organism

taguebw at wfu.edu taguebw at wfu.edu
Mon Feb 24 07:57:23 EST 1997

Karl Fischer wrote:

> In article <330FBD01.3606 at protec.net>, Greentree <greentree at protec.net> wrote:
>
> > I saw posted here a Q about the largest cell, my Question is what is the
> > largest living organism? Thanks,Hildy
>
> Blue whale.
>
> Karl the hepB guy

No, probably not blue whale. But a fungus. If I remember, it is both
bigger in length and larger in mass. I can't point you to any ref's
but it was also mentioned in the original reply to the orignal
(largest cell) question.

FROM THE BIONET ARCHIVES:

question

I recently posted a question inquiring about what the largest cell on
Earth was and I got
several interesting responses. I suppose there was such variety
because I was vague - what
exactly does "large" mean? The heaviest, the longest, the most
voluminous? In any sense,
here are just some of the many responses I got:

[snip]

Several years ago, there was a news article in Science (maybe Nature)
about a certain type of cell -- some sort of fungus, I think -- which
lives underground in the root system of certain trees in north-central
North America (I think). This cell, according to the article, spreads
over a very large area, I mean like several hundred feet! Sorry I
can't
remember more, and I couldn't find it in Medline (not surprising).
Maybe someone else recalls hearing about this.

JA
[snip]