Problem with nonspecific antibody binding

DiverNLB divernlb at aol.com
Tue Feb 25 19:31:15 EST 1997

Hello. I am currently developing a protocol for immunofluorescent
detection of the stress proteins hsp70 and cpn60 on cryosectioned Mytilus
mantle tissue. The problem I am having is nonspecific binding of the
secondary antibody (conjugated to fluorescein), leading to strong
false-positive signals. I have tried blocking with bovine serum albumin,
fetal bovine serum, and horse serum, with little or no effect. Could
anyone suggest any other solutions? Please respond to DiverNLB at aol.com.
Thank you.

Homer O. Ellison
Dept. of Biological Sciences