ATP

Dr E. Buxbaum EB15 at le.ac.uk
Thu Feb 27 06:06:22 EST 1997

marckless at aol.com (Marc Kless) wrote:
>I am a grade 11 biology student, and I was interested to find the  formula
>of ATP.  I have a diagram, but I'm not sure that if I just count the
>number of carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen ect.. atoms that I will have the corect
>formula.

The form usually sold is the disodium salt of ATP: C10H14N5O13P3Na2 times
3 H2O. The MW is 605.2

You should get the same answer from counting the atoms in a structural
formula, keeping in mind however that hydrogen atoms linkin to carbon are
often not drawn. So count the bindings going to each C and if the number
 is not 4, make up the remainder with H. By the way, your teachers should
realy have been able to show you how to do that.