Are Sperm Alive?

zeropoint zap at dnai.com
Mon Jan 6 09:04:20 EST 1997

>   lesley at UNIXG.UBC.CA (Lesley Weston) writes:
>  If we were ferns, then sperm and ova would be our haploid prothallus
>  stage: an entirely different creature from the diploid sporophyte generation.
>   But we're not ferns, so I guess sperm are just one form of differentiated
>  cells among many.
>  Lesley.

Is a spark a fire?

The dna in the sperm is potentiated in a manner unlike that of the parcel of any other aggregate of
the genome in other cells.  The determination of the macro status of the sperm dna with respect to
its liberty of function is a more interesting orientation to the identification of the salient qualities of
the sperm or the ovum.

At the base of the flagella, there are the centrioles which do impart motion to the sperm.  The
significance of this is broad, but motion is sometimes considered a sign of life.  To determine the
irritibility of sperm would go far to determining the quality or degree of its livilihood,  I would say it
is alive, but that it is not a life.

Z.A.P., Zero Air Pollution, a partnership
Berkeley California
           __
        ~/__|o\__
         '@----- @'---(= Onward toward The Zero Point.

We design and build electric vehicles, including wheelchairs since 1964.

http://www.dnai.com/~zap/
ftp://ftp.dnai.com/users/z/zap/   (accessible through your browser)