Are Sperms Alive?

GongQin Sun sung at UTMDACC.MDA.UTH.TMC.EDU
Wed Jan 8 14:29:49 EST 1997

I have a comment in response to Dr. E. Buxbaum's post.

1) I agree with the five characteristics, but think a sperm meets number 4
(self propagation) only partially at best.  Sperms can not reproduce
themselves first of all.  With the help of an egg, only half of the sperm
population (those carrying the Y chromosome) can eventually "reproduce"
themselves.  Am I missing something here?

2) Based on the above arguement, I view sperm as a package of genetic
information, not life.  The other 4, the form, mobility, composition and
metabolism are part of the packaging to ensure the delivery.