searching postdoctoral position

Richard Gordon gordonr at cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jan 10 07:37:06 EST 1997

Mr. Guillermo L=F3pez Lluch
Dept. of Cell Biology,  University of Cordoba
  Spain
E-mail <bc2lollg at lucano.uco.es>

Dear Guillermo:

If you'd like to work on the basic mechanism of differentiation, you might
want to join me for a while. See the attached, and let me know if you're
interested. In any case, please send me a sampling of your work and papers
from Dr. Navas' lab.

Winnipeg is a city of 600,000, with a substantial Spanish speaking
population (mostly from Phillipines and Latin America). It's a friendly
place. If you'd like to discuss what it's like working in my lab, check
with John Parkinson, who just completed a NATO Postdoctoral Fellowship with
me.

Best regards, -Dick Gordon

Dear Colleague:

I've learned of your work and would appreciate this and a representative
set of your reprints to consider for my book, The Hierarchical Genome and
Ultraslow Differentiation Waves: Novel Unification of Development,
Genetics, and Evolution  (Singapore: World Scientific), which I am winding
up. If you would like any of our reprints listed below, please just let me
know. Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,

Dr. Richard Gordon, Ph.D. (Chemical Physics), Professor,  Department of
Radiology
Adjunct Professor of Physics and Electrical & Computer Engineering
President, Canadian Society for Theoretical Biology (CSTB)
Editorial Boards: Journal of Biological Systems, Journal of Cellular Enginee=
ring
Vice-President, Canadian Association for Responsible Research Funding (CARRF=
)

Bjorklund, N.K. & S. Duhon (1996). The Mexican axolotl as a pet and a
laboratory animal. In: L. Ackerman (ed.), Biology, Husbandry and Health
Care of Reptiles and Amphibians, Jersey City, NJ: Tropical Fish Hobbyist,
in press.

Bjorklund, N.K. & R. Gordon (1993). Nuclear state splitting: a working
model for the mechanochemical coupling of differentiation waves to master
genes. Russian J. Dev. Biol.  24 (2), 79-95.

Bjorklund, N. K. & R. Gordon (1994). Surface contraction and expansion
waves correlated with differentiation in axolotl embryos. I. Prolegomenon
and differentiation during the plunge through the blastopore, as shown by
the fate map. Computers & Chemistry  18(3), 333-345.

Brodland, G. W., R. Gordon, M. J. Scott, N. K. Bjorklund, K. B. Luchka, C.
C. Martin, C. Matuga, M. Globus, S. Vethamany-Globus & D. Shu (1993).
=46urrowing surface contraction wave coincident with primary neural inductio=
in amphibian embryos. J. Morph. 219, 131-142.

Gordon, R. (1989). A critical review of the physics and statistics of
condoms and their role in individual versus societal survival of the AIDS
epidemic. J. Sex & Marital Therapy  15(1), 5-30.

Gordon, R. (1992). Grant agencies versus the search for truth.
Accountability in Res. 2, 1-5.

Gordon, R. (1993). The fractal physics of biological evolution. In:
Beysens, D., N. Boccara & G. Forgacs, eds. Dynamical Phenomena at
Interfaces, Surfaces and Membranes. Commack, N.Y.: NOVA Science Publishers,
99-111.

Gordon, R. (1993). Careers in theoretical biology. Carolina Tips  56(3), 9-1=
1.

Gordon, R. (1994). Evolution escapes rugged fitness landscapes by gene or
genome doubling: the blessing of higher dimensionality. Chemistry &
Computers  18(3), 325-332.

Gordon, R. (1996). Computer controlled evolution of diatoms: design for a
"compustat" Nova Hedwigia  112, 213-216.

Gordon, R. (1996). Book review: Hierarchy versus Reductionism, a Review of
Eldredge, N. (1995). Reinventing Darwin: The Great Debate at the High Table
of Evolutionary Theory.  New York: John Wiley & Sons. J. Evol. Biol.  9(3),
383-386.

Gordon, R. (1996). On halting bear and professor hunts: Internet and the
University of Manitoba professors' strike for academic freedom.
Negotiations  (Canadian Association of University Teachers, Collective
Bargaining Section)  13(2), 4-8.

Gordon, R. (1996). Viewpoint:  rough analysis of funding inequity in the
=46aculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba. Prairie Med. J.  66(3),
131-132.

Gordon, R. & N.K. Bjorklund (1996). How to observe surface contraction
waves on axolotls. Int. J. Dev. Biol.  40(4), 913-914.

Gordon, R., N. K. Bjorklund & P. D. Nieuwkoop (1994). Dialogue on embryonic
induction and differentiation waves. Int. Rev. Cytol. 150, 373-420.

Gordon, R., N.K. Bjorklund, G.G.C. Robinson & H.J. Kling (1996). Sheared
drops and pennate diatoms. Nova Hedwigia  112, 287-297.

Gordon, R. & G.W. Brodland (1987). The cytoskeletal mechanics of brain
morphogenesis: cell state splitters cause primary neural induction. Cell
Biophysics  11, 177-238.

Gordon, R. & R. W. Drum (1994). The chemical basis of diatom morphogenesis.
Int. Rev. Cytol. 150, 243-372, 421-422.

Gordon, R. & J.E. Tyson (1993). Fatal sexually transmitted diseases
(FSTDs), such as AIDS, select for the evolution of monogamy and provide a
model for background extinction. J. Biol. Systems  1(4), 1-26.

Guan, H. & R. Gordon (1996). Computed tomography using ART with different
projection access schemes: a comparison study under practical situations.
Phys. Med. Biol.  41, 1727-1743.

Martin, C. C. & R. Gordon (1995). Differentiation trees, a junk DNA
molecular clock, and the evolution of neoteny in salamanders. J. Evol.
Biol. 8, 339-354.

Martin, C.C. & R. Gordon (1996). Ultrastructural analysis of the cell state
splitter in ectoderm cells differentiating to neural plate and epidermis
during gastrulation in embryos of the axolotl Ambystoma mexicanum.
Ontogenez, in press.

Mazur, E.J. & R. Gordon (1995). Interpolative algebraic reconstruction
techniques without beam partitioning for computed tomography. Med. Biol.
Eng. Comput.  33(1), 82-86.

Nieuwkoop, P.D., N.K. Bjorklund & R. Gordon (1996). Surface contraction and
expansion waves correlated with differentiation in axolotl embryos. II. In
contrast to urodeles, the anuran Xenopus laevis  does not show furrowing
surface contraction waves. Int. J. Dev. Biol.  40(4), 661-664.

Preachuk, C. (1994). Radiologic study of limb regeneration in the axolotl.
Axolotl Newsletter  (23), 72-75.

Sivaramakrishna, R. & R. Gordon (1997). Detection of breast cancer at a
smaller size can reduce the likelihood of metastatic spread: a quantitative
analysis. Acad. Radiol.  4, in press.