Baculocell

Timo O. Väisänen timo.vaisanen at oulu.fi
Tue Jan 14 06:25:26 EST 1997

We are currently expressing plasma membrane protein in Hi5 cells. We are
interested to see how the protein localizes in infected cells. For this purpose
we are using immuno-EM. We are particularly interested in a membranous
structure which consists of a larger vesicle which encloses numerous smaller
vesicles. This same structure can also be seen in uninfected cells. Could it be
some kind of secretory organelle or lysosomal structure? In the course of a
infection it seems that the expressed protein first localizes to the plasma
membrane and to above mentioned structure. When the infection progresses
protein starts to gather also to the vesicle membranes and later to
mitochondria and cytoplasm. Is this result just an artefact or does the
infection affect the transport system? Another explanation might also be that
the plasma membrane just becomes full of the protein which leads to the
accumulation to other membranes. We would appreciate if someone could give us
information about these things or knows good references.
P.S. Are there any baculovirus news groups?