Southern of mouse tail

John-Olov Jansson joj at ss.gu.se
Fri Jan 24 12:07:13 EST 1997

We have found that certain enzymes do not work well for Southern
blotting of mouse tail DNA, although the are OK for Southern of ES cell
DNA.
Examples: XbaI, HindIII. Other enzymes such as BamHI are Ok also for
tail DNA. We have used both a protocol with UREA - proteinase K - phenol
chloroform, as well as a protocol in which the urea step was omitted.
Are certain enzymes more sensitive to inhibitory factors?
Could we use a better protocol go get rid of the inhibitory influence?
Columns? Dialysis?

Thank you

J-O Jansson