Plants and cancer.

Madhu Singh msingh at gpu5.srv.ualberta.ca
Wed Jan 29 10:15:18 EST 1997

Clive Evans (c.evans at auckland.ac.nz) wrote:
:
: The topic may be more subtle than you think. Not all tumours are
: cancers. Only cancers (but not all of them) are capable of metatsasising.
: How do you do that with a cell wall?
:
You are missing the vital point Clive.  The question here was (as I
understood) the presence or absence of 'uncontrolled cell proliferation'.
True, one has to think of cell wall for metastasis, one also has to think
that not all cancers are tumors.  I am indicating at leukemia.  And I
don't know whether such cellular circulation occurs in plants.
So far as uncontrolled cell proliferation is concerned, it does occur in
plants.  Not only to Agrobacterium mediated tumors, but there are also
insect induced tumors, and one may include the stem and root nodules of
nitrogen-fixing legumes.

 : : On 28 Jan : > :
: > : There is literally tonnes of literature on crown gall tumors of dicot
: > plants.  The tumor is caused by excessive production of nopaline and other
: > products akin to plant hormones.  This tumor is caused by "injection" of a
: > plasmid (Ti-plasmid) by Agrobacterium tumefaciens (anologous to virus
: > induced tumors in animals).  I am not sure that such tumors are formed or
: > can be induced in monocots, especially the cereals.
: >
: > The huge plant biotechnology industry of transgenic plants almost
: > entirely came about by research on these tumors.
: >
: > Hope it helps you.
: >
: > With best wishes