Little respect for doctors

ORAC dgorski at x-site.net
Tue Jun 17 09:42:02 EST 1997

In article <33b107ca.158131781 at news.microserve.net>, malloc at malloc.com wrote:

>not to side with the childish crap posted here...i have to take issue...
>MOST doctors go into medicine for financial gain...just like ANY
>profession....the problem is doctors have alot of opputunity
>to take advantage of certain situations...and often do

So do lawyers (many of whom also went into the field to "help people").
Doctors are humans, just like everyone else. It' unreasonable to expect
that *all* of them will always be able to refuse *all* temptation. Even
priests sometimes do horrible things.

>if you think its about helping people and the "hippocratic oath crap
>  your on the very drugs you withold from your chronic pain clients
>  (to cover your ass)

Then you'll probably conclude that I'm on those drugs, because I DO
believe that that's what it's about, for the most part.

As for "covering our asses" by not giving adequate pain medication, I
wouldn't necessarily blame the doctors exclusively for that. Blame the
anti-drug hysteria in this country, too. A doctor who gives prescriptions
for lots of narcotics to his patients soon finds the DEA looking *very*
closely at his practice. If that doctor persists, pretty soon he'll face
threats of having his license revoked. That's a lot of pressure to bear. A
doctor who resists that pressure soon faces the loss of his ability to
make a living if he doesn't surrender.

If you're a pain patient, I'm sure you're aware of the case of this one
doctor who is an advocate of giving as much narcotics as it takes to
control a patient's pain. (I don't remember his name, but I think he's in
Virginia, although my memory could be faulty there.) He was featured on 60
MINUTES in a rather sympathetic portrait not too long ago. What happened
to him? The DEA prosecuted him and the pharmacist who filled his
prescriptions, and the state medical board stripped him of his license to
practice medicine.

> i find as a rule.."most" doctors(and ive seen alot of them ..as a pain
patient)
>  are smug...egotistical and basicly rich white brats...

Oh, please. I was willing to consider your opinion seriously until you
started making insulting generalizations. If I started making such
generalizations about "most" pain patients, how would *you* react?

You'd get pretty pissed off, I'd wager.

--
MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN SURGICALLY ALTERED TO HINDER SPAM TO ME.
TO GET AT MY REAL E-MAIL ADDRESS, DELETE THE HYPHEN!

ORAC                        |"A statement of fact cannot be
a.k.a.                      | insolent."   ORAC
David H. Gorski, M.D., Ph.D.|
Department of Surgery       |
University of Chicago       |