Little respect for doctors

ORAC dgorski at x-site.net
Mon Jun 23 11:57:57 EST 1997

In article <01bc7e0e$0eed35c0$52d9c2d0 at tjones1.flash.net>, "Dr Pigg"
<drpigg at pig.com> wrote:

>ORAC <dgorski at x-site.net> wrote in article
><dgorski-1706970914190001 at radbio-mac4.bsd.uchicago.edu>...
>> Actually, I sense a troll here. Either that, or he had one bad experience
>> with doctors and now generalizes it to all doctors.
>>

>I can infer what a troll is from the context it's used here.  But I'm not
>up on cyber lingo, so would you mind providing me a difinition?

No problem. A "troll" is an inflammatory post posted for no other reason
than to stir things up and to invite flames. It's often insulting or a
post designed to inflame the sensibilities of people who frequent the
newsgroup. (You're "trolling" for flames, basically.) Such posts do not
represent reasoned discussion, and the person posting usually does not
post a followup, preferring to sit back and watch the fireworks.

A good example of a troll would be to post in a Babylon 5 group that the
show totally sucks and there's nothing good about it. It would not be a
troll, however, if you stated in a reasonable fashion that you didn't like
the show and gave decent reasons for not liking it (although it might
provoke a similar response). Of course, there are gray areas here, but
usually a troll is pretty obvious.

--
MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN SURGICALLY ALTERED TO HINDER SPAM TO ME.
TO GET AT MY REAL E-MAIL ADDRESS, DELETE THE HYPHEN!

ORAC                        |"A statement of fact cannot be
a.k.a.                      | insolent."   ORAC
David H. Gorski, M.D., Ph.D.|
Department of Surgery       |
University of Chicago       |