G-proteins and signal transduction

Donald Johnston DJ.50 at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 12 18:23:52 EST 1997

G-proteins provide the cytoplasmic interface between transmembrane
receptors and signal transduction pathways.  They either directly regulate
the function of serine/threonine kinases or bind to proteins that do.
Calcium levels are held at very low levels in a cell and respond to
intracellular second messengers or voltage changes across the membrane with
an elevation in concentration.  This elevation affects the activity and
positioning of kinases and other enzymes which usually attach to membranes
this, (check Annual Reviews of Biochemistry) and there are good discussions
in Alberts..

ylee at REED.EDU wrote in article <3324B346.13C8 at reed.edu>...