BW cells and serum starving

Mara Casar casar at niehs.nih.org
Wed Nov 5 10:55:49 EST 1997

I'm trying to find some information on BW 5147.3 cells and how to
serum-starve them.  They are mouse thymocytes that grow in suspension
(DMEM + 10% serum), and we usually use them for purifying a nuclear
protein.  However, I want to see if this protein's levels/activity
change with serum stimulation, so I need to starve them first.  I don't
know if overnight will be sufficient.  Has anyone out there used these
cells for this sort of experiment?  If so, could you please let me know
how you did it?

Thanks in advance,
Mara

p.s. please reply to me directly if possible.