General question re: entropy

Walter L. Ash ash1 at freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Mon Nov 10 16:20:10 EST 1997

    I'm under the impression that the chemical and physical processes of
life work to increase the overall entropy of the universe.  I was recently
debating this with a friend of mine who believed that because living
organisms are highly organized systems of matter and energy which
replicate themselves that they would work to decrease the entropy of the
universe by converting uniform matter and energy (sunlight) into more
organized forms...  I'm sure I had read that the disordered random motion
of heat given off by cellular processes worked to increase overall
entropy.  Maybe I'm unclear on the concept of entropy.  Anyway, I couldn't
find my textbooks to check it out so I'm wondering if anyone in this group
can address this question for me.  Our debate was more theological than
anything.