Short G1 phase

Dennis Goode GOODE at ZOOL.UMD.EDU
Mon Nov 24 13:11:09 EST 1997

Petrus,

Since Trichomonas is a rather primitive flagellate, my guess is that
short or no G1 is primitive, and that most cell cycle regulation in
these organisms is at the G2->M transition. Many amebae have a
similar cell cycle. The "advantage" of a G1, which presumably evolved
later, then would be the ability to not synthesize DNA unless the
cell is destined to divide soon.

-Dennis