PFGE/MRSA

brian drozdowski cat1163 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 30 20:06:25 EST 1997

To Whom It May Concern,
     My name is Brian Drozdowski and I am a microbiology student at The
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science.  A recent assignment for
my cell biology class was to create a topic of my own from "hot areas"
of research and update this topic.  The topic I created is titled
"Genetic characterization of DNA band patterns by pulsed-field gel
electrophoresis of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus to trace
the source of nosocomial infections".
     I am writing for answers to some questions concerning two recent
articles by Dr. Alan Hartstein.   The articles are  "Control of
methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a hospital and an
intensive care unit".  The second is "DNA typing and control of
methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus at two affiliated
hospitals".  Both articles are found in Infection Control and Hospital
Epoidemiology.
    While updating my topic, I learned of several other methods that can
be used for studying bacterial DNA.  Restriction endonuclease analysis
of plasmids (REAP) is one of these methods.  What restriction enzyme was
used for REAP in the first paper?  Do you believe that PFGE is the most
discriminative method to use when studying MRSA or should PFGE be
combined with  other methods such as REAP to generate the best results?
     Through my interest in the topic, I came across two ways of
characterizing band patterns as being distinct from one another.  One
method is if three or more bands are different, the other is if two or
more are different.  Why did you the author chose to use three or more
differences in band patterns as being distinct in the second paper?
    Any quick response will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your
time.
                                     Sincerely,
                                     Brian Drozdowski
                                     cat1163 at hotmail.com